A patio cover provides a comfortable space to read, relax, and entertain guests. However, like any outdoor structure, it requires regular maintenance to keep it looking and functioning at its best. Find out more about the importance of maintenance, how often to clean your shade, maintenance tips, and how care can differ for different types of shade structures.
Why Is Patio Cover Maintenance Important?
Proper maintenance is essential to prolonging the lifespan of your porch or patio shade. Neglecting maintenance can lead to several issues. Regular maintenance helps to prevent these issues and keeps your patio cover looking and functioning like new for years to come.
- Dirt & Debris Buildup
- Fading & Discoloration Of Materials
- Corrosion & Rusting Of Metal Components
- Leaks & Water Damage
- Weakened Structural Integrity
How Often Should You Clean Your Patio Cover?
The frequency of cleaning your shade cover depends on several factors, including the material and the weather conditions in your area. In general, a good cleaning is recommended at least once a year. If you live in an area with heavy rainfall or a lot of debris, you may need to clean it more often.
5 Tips For Patio Cover Maintenance
1. Regularly inspect columns, shade, & any retractable pieces for damage or wear & tear, such as cracks or holes, loose screws or bolts, or damaged beams or posts.
2. Remove dirt and debris using a soft brush or cloth & mild soap or cleaning solution. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the surface.
3. Rinse with a hose & allow it to air dry.
4. Lubricate moving parts, such as hinges or rollers, with a silicone-based lubricant to prevent rusting and corrosion.
5. Trim nearby trees or shrubs to prevent branches & leaves from falling on the structure, especially during storms & windy days.
Maintenance Differs For Different Types Of Porch Shades
Whether you have a lattice or solid shade, the maintenance required for your patio cover depends on the material it’s made from. In addition to wood and aluminum, two popular materials are Alumawood and Elitewood.
Cleaning & Maintaining Alumawood
Alumawood patio covers are made from aluminum and are designed to resemble traditional wood covers. They are low-maintenance and require minimal upkeep. To clean an Alumawood patio cover, use a soft brush or cloth and mild soap or cleaning solution. Rinse with a hose and allow it to air dry.
Elitewood Cover Maintenance
Elitewood patio covers are made from a combination of aluminum and wood. They are durable and provide a natural wood look. To maintain an Elitewood shade, follow the same cleaning and maintenance tips as for an Alumawood patio cover. You may need to apply a sealant or stain every few years to protect the wood from the elements.
Protect Your Investment—Let Us Help
Porch and patio shades are an investment. Maintaining your patio cover is essential to prolonging its lifespan and keeping it looking and functioning like new. Don’t let neglected maintenance shorten the lifespan of your patio cover. If you notice problems, call us at Shade In A Day. In addition to new installations, we can make repairs so you can enjoy your Las Vegas shade structures for years to come.